[TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Jan 16 06:14:01 AEST 2021

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021, John Cowan wrote:

> > Congratubloodylations, as we say down-under; it is well-deserved.
> >
> > Without Unix I'd probably still be supporting RSX-11 and VMS etc;
> > their foray into Unix (Eunice) was doomed.
>
> Whose foray?  Not DEC's.  Eunice was built at SRI and sold by the
> Wollongong Group, who must have had Downundrian connections.  I was
> always very happy with it, as I am with Cygwin today.  Ultrix, on the
> other hand, was DEC's: a BSD with SysV hacks, as opposed to Solaris
> which was the other way around.

I have alternative facts :-)

     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunice_(software)

``Eunice was a Unix-like working environment for VAX computers
   running DEC's VAX/VMS, based on the BSD version of Unix. It was
   originally developed ca. 1981 by David Kashtan at SRI[1] and later
   maintained and marketed by The Wollongong Group.''

> The Dilbert strip probably explains why everyone who could, wore beards
> in those days.  Just to prevent that mistake.

At one place I worked, every Unix bod sported facial fungus; it must be a
Unix thing...

-- Dave