[TUHS] 386BSD released

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Wed Jul 14 20:39:10 AEST 2021

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via TUHS <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:

> Michael Kjörling <michael at kjorling.se> writes:
>
> > [...] one might even be able to argue that the early UNIX systems were
> > also, in a sense, open source.
>
> Ditto MINIX, of course, which was released, along with the book, in 1987.

The original Minix wasn't so open source. It was certainly not GPL'ed
or BSD/MIT licensed.  Also, Tannenbaum had no interest in coordinating
distributed development of Minix into a production-worthy system.

I don't want to rehash all of that here, but I certainly would not
have listed the original Minix as Free Software / Open Source.

My two cents,

Arnold