[TUHS] A New History of Modern Computing - my thoughts

Bakul Shah bakul at iitbombay.org
Mon Nov 29 11:36:26 AEST 2021

On Nov 28, 2021, at 4:19 PM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> My hope is that something will appear that is "good enough" and
> '"simple enough" to get people excited again

My hope is for "Unix as a service". Just another service for
programs that need a Unix API. I think KeyNIX (Unix on top of
KeyKOS) had the right idea but the problem was and is that
typically hardware is not optimized for IPC & fast context
switching. That may change when we can put zillions of core
on a chip but can't speed up individual cores. UAAS may even
facilitate a move to a sea-of-cores architecture!