[TUHS] Clever code (was Re: Re: Stdin Redirect in Cu History/Alternatives?

Andrew Warkentin andreww591 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 18:30:23 AEST 2022

On 12/18/22, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have any citations for this, but it looked to me, watching in
> the magazines at the time, that _before_ the Amiga deal, QNX did run
> on PCs for testing purposes, but I am not totally sure if it had a GUI
> at all, and little to no multimedia support.
>
> My impression is that QNX implemented that for Amiga Inc and then were
> left with it when Amiga turned its gaze on Tao and Elate.

QNX Classic and 4.x only ran on x86 machines, most of which were
either standard PCs or at least sort of PC-like (although AFAIK the
ability to run without a BIOS was present very early on). It was quite
common to run QNX on desktops as a development host for embedded
systems AFAIK.

GUIs for QNX predate the Amiga deal, and have existed since the late
80s. The original was QNX Windows, which was either a reimplementation
or port (not quite sure which) of Open Look on a custom non-X11 window
server, running on later versions of 2.x and all versions of 4.x.

Later versions of 4.x added Photon 1, which looks like a cross between
Motif and Windows 9x, again based on a custom window server (this time
with a rather unconventional multi-process architecture). The 90s-era
demo disk was based on 4.25 and Photon 1 (there was also a 2.x demo
disk back in the 80s but this didn't have a GUI).

6.0 came with Photon 2, which is still Win9x-ish in terms of
organization and is a fairly straightforward evolution of Photon 1,
although the widgets look very vaguely Amiga-like in 6.0-6.2. 6.0 came
out slightly after the Amiga deal, so that might be the reason for the
Amiga-like theming.

Neutrino was not the name of a GUI, but rather of the entire OS that
succeeded QNX 4 (the first versions of Neutrino used Photon 1 but were
incapable of self-hosting and were developed alongside 4.x; 6.0 was
the first mainline QNX version to be Neutrino-based).

> But the only mass-market end-user-facing graphical multimedia-capable
> QNX devices I know of were the Blackberry X smartphones. (And
> cancelled tablet and netbook.)

There were also the i-Opener (running 4.25) and Audrey (running 6.0)
internet appliances of the late 90s.