[TUHS] more about Brian... [ really GC vs malloc/free languages ]

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Feb 7 05:33:17 AEST 2022

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 12:27 PM Jon Steinhart <jon at fourwinds.com> wrote:

> I probably have the quote completely wrong,
> but Dan Healy, sound man for The Grateful Dead an inventor of much of
> modern concert hall sound technology said something like "Bozos are
> fine people and fun to be around but that doesn't mean that I would
> let one near my soundboard with a pair of diagonal pliers."

I personally like having the choices. I don't want to be bothered with
malloc/free when I'm hacking together an awk or python script. On
the other hand, when it has to run fast or do lots of TPS inside a kernel,
I really don't want somebody else deciding when a good time to take
a 'hiccup' in performance is...  It all depends on what I'm doing since
using techniques from the latter to optimize the former is a waste of
time. The whole reason I do a GC'd language is to write what I'm writing
faster with less hassle...

Some days I'm Dan Healy, some days I'm waving diagonal pliers around... :)

Warner