[TUHS] Documentation for Unix 4.0

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Wed Jun 15 15:57:38 AEST 2022

On 15 Jun 2022 09:53 +0800, from stu at remphrey.net (Stuart Remphrey):
> Though I think Norman was drawing an analogy between A-records/hard links
> and CNAME/symlinks, then observing that prior to 4.2BSD in 1983 there were
> no symlinks only hard links, ditto CNAMEs in RFC-882, also 1983.
> So if we're going back further, we shouldn't use them (it breaks down a
> little when considering A-records though, since we can't easily not use
> those!)

By much that same line of reasoning, tuhs.org shouldn't have any MX
records either because the MX RRtype was introduced as recently as in
1986 (Wikipedia puts it at RFCs 973 and 974 [1] but without wide use
until "in the early 1990s"). Let alone a web presence because HTTP and
HTML came along even later. :-)

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_record#Historical_background

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se
 “Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”