[TUHS] STDIN/OUT vs APIs [was: How Unix changed Software]

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Sep 7 23:19:22 AEST 2022

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 8:54 AM Brian Zick <brian at zick.io> wrote:

> I am very curious to hear more about the implications and practical
> benefits of this from folks that have thoroughly explored it. In my
> experience I’ve mainly used APIs, and I’m having trouble imagining the
> other approach other than for text-processing.

See <https://jpaulm.github.io/fbp/> for an explanation of Flow-Based
Programming, a realization of the same pipelining idea, but extended to
arbitrary directed graphs with multiple input and output ports.  It was
developed in complete ignorance of Unix pipelines except by bare and
misleading report, and in entirely distinct application domains, yet with
exact convergence.  "It steam-engines when it comes steam-engine time."