[TUHS] python

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Thu Aug 3 12:55:45 AEST 2023

> The resurgence of chatter about Common LISP says something to me.

LISP is one of those things I always say I'm going to go study more, try and understand the implications of, but it continues to be so far afield from the typical realms I work in that I just haven't found that catch point to get me more interested in it.  That said, there is a little voice in that same part of my brain whispering about exploring FP for creating software polygon rendering stuff, which right now I only really work with through the OpenGL and video game console lenses.  Probably the closest I got to something LISPy was futzing with some Guile stuff pertaining to GDB.

Also pardon the whole "Python's a functional language I am very smart about things", that's based on plenty of commentary I've heard and read, not any sort of formal analysis or research.  Feel free to call me out anywhere you think I might be parroting (inaccurate) common sentiment about things I have tangential understanding of, I try not to but sometimes it just still crops up in casual chit chat :P

To attempt a tie-back to TUHS, has anyone here ever tried to bring up bits of Python on a historic UNIX implementation?

- Matt G.