[TUHS] emacs

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Aug 4 10:44:22 AEST 2023

http://wiki.c2.com/?TecoEditor

Cantrell’s teco was pretty fast and used a lot less resources than any of
the Unix EMACS invocations.  Gosling / CMU EMACS showed up in 81 on the Vax
and is where mocklisp came from.   Zimmerman EMACS may have been earlier at
MIT but Steve sold it to CCA so it was not nearly as widespread. Noel may
know more. We got a license from CCA in ‘84 and shipped it on the Masscomp
systems.

Rms did like a number things gosling did and start to rewrite it.  (The
defaults were different from ITS was one of his issues). He released his
version around 85. FWIW:   There is still some bad blood wrt to that whole
path best I can tell.

I think there were a couple of others.

--
Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual