[TUHS] emacs

Bakul Shah bakul at iitbombay.org
Fri Aug 4 12:18:58 AEST 2023

I had ported Gosling Emacs to Fortune System in 1981 or 82. It was painfully slow. I vaguely remember that was due to bitfields use, for which our C compiler (pcc based IIRC) did not generate good code. I gave up at that point as it was a side project & vi was more than good enough. Earlier I had used TECO (logged in to ITS from an IMP @ USC) but not emacs.