[TUHS] Interesting 3B2 Manual on eBay

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Sun Dec 10 03:25:10 AEST 2023

Spotted this this morning: [https://www.ebay.com/itm/186172178090](https://www.ebay.com/itm/186172178090?hash=item2b58b9feaa:g:C8EAAOSwx8RlWkeJ&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwI9u5Q4YV0drDW0ZDakivbHqP%2F23s1n435t3sOiBnJYsnszpSsjh4y4blvGh78FVv82LMD%2BqO0mXAwNfb8mJyhPtHERIbWQvZVZjwU6eKv17AfwcDj3O4J0rojaOaRekGAkJiblX%2BcFsRRFYmfhC2k9AWhgz24OJvajk0RBALOFKzQq%2BwYkH01HkSTjmg4zCJHqZor1cFBpXTrDQsh1vsha3SgnU4oXxyGdx5XKdYDYguslA%2FnVWmlOAxHQMdxXm0Q%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6CWkvmJYw)

After the link is a "Western Electric 3B2 Model 300 C Programming Language Manual". The manual is from Februrary of 1984 and is of the same visual motif as the System V manuals for the 3B5 as well as DWB documentation released at the time, this motif being a small grey binder with a large orange square in the middle (as opposed to small grey binders with the AT&T death star motif that were contemporary to this time as well.) After these two cover styles, which follow the grid patterns System V original documentation, ATTIS then switches to the red covers that are seen throughout the rest of the 80s until the blue SVR4 books and the kinda criss-crossy grid pattern found on their late 80s stuff (not just UNIX, I've seen a similar motif on documentation shipped with AT&T telephones of the period, but in grey)

Interestingly, despite the date, it is still labeled Western Electric, which is strange because the 3B5 manual I have is from 1983 I'm fairly certain but doesn't have "Western Electric" on the cover. Maybe there were mixed stocks of the professionally printed binder covers from the 1982-1984 timeframe with and without WECo branding at the same time.

In any case, this one is still in the plastic and even has the 5 1/2 floppies with the SGS and other C support bits (and AT&T death star logos.) I don't plan on getting this as it's just a pinch later than where my focus is right now, but figured I'd mention it on list in case someone is looking for something like this. I got everything I needed from the pictures.

- Matt G.