[TUHS] Compatibility question

Mary Ann Horton mah at mhorton.net
Mon Dec 18 08:51:00 AEST 2023

The concept of a resizable window didn't appear until GUI interfaces.
Originally the hardware terminal had one specific size and vi depended
on the screen being that exact size. I suspect that SVr2 was in that
category, as the Sun merger of SVr4 would have been the reason to
incorporate it. So try a 24x80 window and see if it behaves.

Try "stty -a" and see if it mentions rows and columns. If not, what
terminfo says (try "infocmp") is what vi will believe.

It might also matter how you option your vt100 emulator, and even the
native vt100 had setup options, such as wraparound (terminfo calls this
auto_right_margin or just am). Vi depends on knowing what the cursor
does when it types in the rightmost column.

Thanks,

/Mary Ann Horton/ (she/her/ma'am)
maryannhorton.com <https://maryannhorton.com>