[TUHS] A few comments on porting the Bourne shell

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Sun Jan 1 04:49:54 AEST 2023

Ralph Corderoy writes:
> Hi Jon,
>
> > > I guess in interactive use most users would only miss one thing:
> > > the history & line editing capability?
> >
> > Job control?
>
> Just as history and line editing were a possible enhancement to the TTY
> driver, didn't Pike comment that job control was cooked up in foreign
> climes because they couldn't drag out a new TTY window in pixels?
>
> Was something like screen(1)'s ‘Ctrl-A c’ considered in the TTY driver
> to spin up another pseudo-TTY rather than suspend the long job with
> Ctrl-Z and ‘bg’ it?

My memory is really fuzzy on this.  I recall that job control came along
with csh which I used until bash.  At the time there were hardly any
graphics displays used as interactive devices.  I'm talking Berkeley job
control here; I seem to remember that someone got wedged into System V
that was awful and unusable.

Jon