[TUHS] Some old DECtapes from Dennis Ritchie

Jonathan Gray jsg at jsg.id.au
Fri Jul 14 15:31:43 AEST 2023

On Fri, Jul 14, 2023 at 02:57:06AM +1000, Jonathan Gray wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2023 at 10:44:33AM +1000, Warren Toomey via TUHS wrote:
> > All, way back when, Dennis sent me some DECtape images to look after. I've
> > put some of them in the Unix Archive (the s1 and s2 tapes) as they contained
> > Unix source code or binaries. The others I kept aside as they didn't contain
> > Unix code, or they were potentially sensitive.
> >
> > Anyway, Angelo Papenhoff asked for any old tapes from the Labs that might
> > contain fragments of B source code or B binaries. I passed the extra tapes
> > on to him, and he has found some very interesting nuggets from the time
> > period when B -> NB -> C.
> >
> > So, to help provide the context around Angelo's work, I've decided to put
> > all the tapes that Dennis gave me here:
> >
> > https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Applications/Dennis_Tapes/
> >
> > Cheers, Warren
>
> Thank-you to all involved.
>
> Interesting that this has a version of
> "The UNIX Time-Sharing System" paper with timestamps close to the
> SOSP presentation.
>
> UnixEditionZero-Threshold_OCR.pdf 1971 draft
>
> Symposium on Operating System Principles, October 15-17 1973
> proceedings only have an abstract

The ACM online archive only has the abstract
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/800009.808045
but google books shows fragments of more in searches
https://books.google.com/books?id=TxNRAQAAIAAJ

> dmr_tapes/dmr2/tp/paper/p1 Nov 1973
> "about 20 installations have been put into service"
> (same number given in fourth edition manual also dated Nov 1973)
> "Files are named by sequences of eight or fewer characters"
>
> tuhs/Documentation/Papers/unix_cacm74.pdf July 1974
> "about 40 installations have been put into service"
> "Files are named by sequences of 14 or fewer characters"
>
> tuhs/Distributions/Research/Dennis_v6/v6doc.tar.gz unix/p1 Jun 1975
> "about 100 installations have been put into service"

DECUS: Proceedings of the Digital Equipment Computer Users Society
1977: Vol 3 Iss 5
https://archive.org/details/sim_digital-equipment-computer-users-society-transactions_1977_3_5
"about 250 installations have been put into service"

tuhs/Documentation/Papers/BSTJ/bstj57-6-1905.pdf July/Aug 1978
"over 600 installations have been put into service"

tuhs/Distributions/Research/Henry_Spencer_v7/v7.tar.gz
usr/doc/cacm Jan 1979
"over 600 installations have been put into service"