[TUHS] Cool talk on Unix and Sendmail history, by Eric Allman

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Jul 22 08:39:22 AEST 2023

On Fri, Jul 21, 2023 at 05:33:11PM -0500, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote:

> On 7/21/23 5:30???PM, Larry McVoy wrote:
> >It really was super pleasant to realize I'm not the last guy who wants to
> >use C for serious work.
>
> I thought the same thing about m4.
>
> I still like m4.
>
> I've used m4 for more than trivial things within the last few years.
>
> >I suspect we're dinosaurs but we're cut from the same clothe dinosaurs.

I think you get good at using C, and/or m4, and at a certain point it is
easier to write good code in that than start over in a different set of
tools.

My older son is learning CS and I told him that C is a lot like a
sports car on a twisty mountain road that has no guard rails.  If
you are someone who wants to be on your phone in the car, you are
gonna have a bad time.  On the other hand, if you are an expert
driver, it's a lot of fun.

Kids these days, all they want is guard rails :)

--lm