[TUHS] crt0 -- what's in that name?

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Tue Jun 13 05:45:12 AEST 2023

Probably derivative of /etc/brt1 and /etc/brt2. If there's a <lang>rt<digit> convention before that I can't say. If they're going for UNIX-y nomenclature though bootloaders were mboot, tboot, uboot, etc. As an aside, Sega used the nomenclature "icd_blkX" where X is a digit to number 128-byte blocks of their initial loader, icd I presume standing for something like initial code. I feel like I've seen "icd" used elsewhere, but couldn't say where. In any case, I'm sure a lot could be devoted to running down the history of names like crt0, mch, mdec, icd, uboot, and so on. Unfortunately those sorts of trivia haven't bubbled up in my manual studies.

- Matt G.