[TUHS] Known Specimens of Pre-5ESS UNIX Telephone Switching Software?

Kevin Bowling kevin.bowling at kev009.com
Fri Oct 6 00:19:03 AEST 2023

On Tue, Oct 3, 2023 at 11:52 PM Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling at kev009.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 7:46 PM Heinz Lycklama <heinz at osta.com> wrote:
> >
> > To answer Jon's following question (2 minutes later):
> > ________________________________
> > Oh yeah, and I think that this is why Heinz wrote MERT,
> > but he should know more than me about it.
> > ________________________________
> > Yes, my Dept. in MH was involved in the early days of digital switching
> > and the need for real-time response was certainly recognized.
> > But MERT was not developed with a specific telephony project in mind.
> > I was mostly involved in software in support of current projects
> > being done in the Dept. We started the MERT project at the
> > time that DEC announced their PDP-11/45 mini-computer in
> > the early 1970's because it supported 3 separate address
> > spaces - system, supervisor, and user. This enabled us to
> > run operating system environments with different user
> > application program needs, specifically real-time under
> > control of one supervisor and time-sharing applications
> > in another supervisor, to start with. Hence its name -
> > Multi-Environment Real Time (MERT). Once we had MERT up
> > and running on the PDP-11/45 and PDP-11/70 computers, some
> > projects in other Bell Labs locations involved in telephony projects
> > started building their projects on the MERT system. The
> > DMERT system was developed later on by projects at yet
> > another Bell Labs location.
>
> I don't have access to IEEE but there is a paper on MERT
> https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6770410.  The 3B20D and DMERT are
> also cronicaled in the BSTJ, I have hard copies of that but it should
> be on IEEE.
>
> There is a lot of detail on the 3B20D and 3B21D in the 254 BSPs as
> well as some coverage of UNIX RTR
> https://www.telecomarchive.com/plant-all.html.
>
> There is more coverage of the 3B20 elsewhere, for instance
> https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/1500412.1500418.  Wing N. Toy, one
> of the hardware engineers, published some nice books that tangentially
> touch on these designs but contain a lot of great microcoding
> knowledge.

I was reviewing this book
https://archive.org/details/computerhardware0000toyw and it is one of
the best computer architecture books I've seen.  Somehow in 400 pages
the authors manage to cover logic, language implementation,
compilation, instruction set design, various aspects of operating
systems design, and fault tolerance citing timeless pedagogical
hardware (PDP11, VAX, S/370, System/38, iAPX-432, WE32000) and
software (VMS, UNIX, DMERT).  Readers of this list will enjoy it!