[TUHS] Found: 4.1BSD User's Manual Volume 2C Comb-Bound

Jonathan Gray jsg at jsg.id.au
Tue Oct 17 15:30:46 AEST 2023

Thanks for clarifying the 4.1 printings.

The role of Lewis Law and the Harvard Science Center in distributing
manuals is also interesting.

v6
https://archive.org/details/unix_news_april-30-1976/mode/2up
"The Science Center at Harvard is willing to undertake the task of
reproducing and distributing the manuals for UNIX."

pwb
https://archive.org/details/login_march-1978/mode/2up
https://archive.org/details/login_apr98/page/n87/mode/2up

'Lews undertaking of reproduction and distribution of the UNIX manuals
meant that they would be more widely proliferated. Lou Katz told me:
"Up until that time, one got Xeroxed copies from Ken."'

"It was Lew Law who negotiated with AT&T to get permission to reproduce
Thompson’s copies."

v7, 4bsd
https://archive.org/details/login_january-1981/page/14/mode/2up

"Harvard University is continuing to act as a wholesale distributor of
manuals; currently in stock are V6, V7, PWB 1.0, and the Berkeley 4BSD."

4.1bsd
https://www.tuhs.org/Usenet/comp.unix.wizards/1981-December/000084.html
"Harvard Science Center is a local distribution center for all
UNIX (V6, V7, PWB, 4.1BSD) manuals."