[TUHS] Found: 4.1BSD User's Manual Volume 2C Comb-Bound

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Wed Oct 18 07:56:19 AEST 2023

Once again, I very much appreciate the background you're able to provide Clem! Looking at these sorts of differences in files on various archives is certainly deriving an incomplete picture, and this sort of history of the circumstances surrounding the ongoings of the time lend much reasoning to what otherwise looks a little opaque just stepping through code and documentation files.

Understanding the transition to a more formal distribution (i.e. snapshots of a development machine vs. intentionally packaged distributions) helps explain some of the discrepancies I'm seeing as I study documentation and what was available more. I feel there are lessons to be learned there that still apply today. I know thinking about that dichotomy is making me reconsider a few things about how my own team shares stuff around with other dev groups in our org. We're currently in the "I archive them a copy of whatever's sitting in source control" stage and am trying to get away from that. Hopefully whatever I land on doesn't also become a "never again!"

- Matt G.