[TUHS] Were any of the commercial unixes source-available?

Andrew Warkentin andreww591 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 21:25:54 AEST 2023

On 9/2/23, Joseph Holsten <joseph at josephholsten.com> wrote:
> I’ve been playing around trying to link the OpenSolaris launch commit to
> various pieces in the Unix History Repository, and it’s making me wonder if
> we’ll ever have a chance to see the history of the systems.
>
> I’m less concerned about HPUX, AIX and SCO’s offerings since I presume
> someone has copy inside these companies. But what about A/UX, Irix, Tru64?
> Did these ever get sold with licenses to source tapes? Are there copies we
> need to preserve in-camera so something can exist 120 years after creation
> or whenever copyright expires?

There are source leaks for quite a few commercial Unices floating
around in various places. These are the ones I'm aware of:

A/UX (0.7, which is complete, and 2.x, which is only the kernel)
AIX 4.1.3 (most of the kernel and some of user space, possibly
complete enough to build)
BSD/OS (various versions, probably complete)
DEC OSF/1 (1.0 and 2.0; these seem reasonably complete)
DYNIX 3.x (several versions, possibly complete enough to build)
DYNIX/PTX (4.x?; possibly complete enough to build)
IRIX 6.5.5 (missing quite a few major packages and nowhere near
complete enough to build)
MIPS RISC/os 4.52 (possibly complete)
SGI System V GL2-W3.7 (for the IRIS 3000 68K machines; probably complete)
SunOS 4.1.3 (seems to be the complete base system)
System V for the 3b2 (several 3.x versions, possibly complete)
System V for the UNIX PC (3.51, possibly complete)
System V/386 4.2 (possibly complete)
ULTRIX-11 (at least 3.1)
ULTRIX-32 (2.0, which has been confirmed to build by someone else, and
4.2, which is also fairly complete)

I haven't looked at any of these in depth, so I'm not completely sure
of the status of any of them except for A/UX and ULTRIX