[TUHS] Project Idea: The UNIX Programmer's Manual: Heritage Edition

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Wed Sep 20 12:50:41 AEST 2023

> Yeah, I'm less angry at GNU now--I didn't search as hard, but when I found out 4.3BSD didn't have HISTORY (and neither does 2.11BSD, which is still actively-ish maintained) then I figured it wasn't something classical that GNU dropped, just never imported. I feel like it existed on SunOS and Solaris but I might be wrong about that? Was it really FreeBSD that introduced it?
>
> Adam

As per my silly bump (really I hate double messages, I'm probably being harder on myself than any of you would be :P) it seems there are some HISTORY sections in the print 4.4BSD set I have on my shelf.  The pages I did spot the section in do not have it in the corresponding 4.3BSD volumes, although I'm basing this on a casual flip through paper books at present, not looking down in /usr/man on any given distro.  None of the Bell-adjacent stuff I've flipped through has any HISTORY sections though.

- Matt G.