[TUHS] Project Idea: The UNIX Programmer's Manual: Heritage Edition

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Thu Sep 21 07:15:09 AEST 2023

On 9/19/23 19:25, Adam Thornton wrote:
> Yeah, I'm less angry at GNU now--I didn't search as hard, but when I found out
> 4.3BSD didn't have HISTORY (and neither does 2.11BSD, which is still
> actively-ish maintained) then I figured it wasn't something classical that GNU
> dropped, just never imported.  I feel like it existed on SunOS and Solaris but I
> might be wrong about that?  Was it really FreeBSD that introduced it?

I just checked the nroff sources for the man pages from SunOS 3.0, 4.0, 4.1.4,
and 5.0 (aka Solaris 2.0), and none of them had a "HISTORY" section, except
that the SunOS 4 man page for sail(6) has a "THE HISTORY OF SAIL" section.

I have been adding HISTORY sections to the Solaris 11.4 man pages over time,
but don't remember seeing any existing sections in our man pages that predate
this effort.  (And I'm only documenting the history in Solaris, leaving it to
others to document history in other OS'es.)

         -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
          Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris