[TUHS] Known Specimens of Pre-5ESS UNIX Telephone Switching Software?

Kevin Bowling kevin.bowling at kev009.com
Tue Sep 26 12:20:54 AEST 2023

On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 6:25 PM segaloco via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> wrote:

> Hello, my studies lately bring me to the question: Are there any extant
> examples of telephone switching software, built on UNIX, from the various
> parts of the Bell System prior to the introduction of the 5ESS and 3B20D?
> My focus veers earlier as some 5ESS/3B20D/DMERT technology is still in
> active use, that sleeping dragon can lie.

Your best bet may be to contact Sarah Autumn at the Connections Museum,
they have a 1ESS and 3ESS.
http://www.telcomhistory.org/connections-museum-seattle-exhibits/electronic-switching/

I don't remember if they have the 1A variant but they should have the BSPs
for all of this which would give you a lot of what you are after.