[TUHS] Role of Unix in Australian Accounting research: Ball & Brown, founding AGSM

Andrew Hume andrew at humeweb.com
Sun Feb 11 05:38:16 AEST 2024

a minor update and a story.

ianj did recruit me, but twice. he recruited me to AGSM. and then after he had switched
to bell labs, he induced them (in a loose sense) to hire me. (although, our paths spread
after we were both at bell labs.)

the story is that Brown (the director of AGSM) was in the states recruiting future staff.
he was in florida and happened to see an ad regarding medical malpractice claims
with an Xray procedure from decades earlier. it turns out, he had that procedure done.
he was able to have the damage repaired (i am fuzzy about the details), all because he
saw the ad.