[TUHS] Honor declined

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Mar 7 02:53:52 AEST 2024

    >  From: Douglas McIlroy <douglas.mcilroy at dartmouth.edu>

    > Although I jumped into Unix as soon as it was born, I was not one of
    > those who "start[ed] to develop it".

http://doc.cat-v.org/unix/pipes/

Dennis wrote that "UNIX is a very conservative system. Only a handful of its
ideas are genuinely new." (And quite right he was, too!) Among the ones that
are new, pipes, although less important now than they used to be, were a major
part of the constellation of things that drove its adoption, early on. And I
can't see how pushing pipes was not "developing UNIX"! I'm afraid you'll just
have to live with it! :-)

    Noel