[TUHS] History of non-Bell C compilers?

Charles H Sauer (he/him) sauer at technologists.com
Fri Mar 8 10:15:12 AEST 2024

On 3/7/2024 5:52 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 4:24 PM Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com
> <mailto:imp at bsdimp.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Thu, Mar 7, 2024, 4:14 PM Tom Lyon <pugs78 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:pugs78 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         For no good reason, I've been wondering about the early history
>         of C compilers that were not derived from Ritchie, Johnson, and
>         Snyder at Bell.  Especially for x86.  Anyone have tales?
>         Were any of those compilers ever used to port UNIX?
>

>     MIT had several that were used for ka9q and at least the Venix x86
>     port. They supported the popular micros of the time. Various
>     versions of them survive to the present day.
>

> It's at bitsavers:
>
> https://bitsavers.org/bits/MIT/pc-ip/8086_C_19850820.tar
> <https://bitsavers.org/bits/MIT/pc-ip/8086_C_19850820.tar>
> and
> https://bitsavers.org/bits/MIT/trix/MIT_Compiler_Tape/
> <https://bitsavers.org/bits/MIT/trix/MIT_Compiler_Tape/>
>
> are pointers to compilers from the early 80s. Obviously not ANSI-C
> compilers :)
>
> Warner

See, also,
https://www.program-transformation.org/Transform/CCompilerHistory.html &
http://www.desmet-c.com/.

When I only had PC/IX on an XT at my office and a PCjr at home, I mostly
worked with C at home with DeSmet. I still have a couple of 5.25" 360K
diskettes labeled C-Ware, which I think are DeSmet 2.4.

Charlie

voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer at technologists.com
fax: +1.512.346.5240         Web: https://technologists.com/sauer/
Facebook/Google/LinkedIn/Twitter: CharlesHSauer