[TUHS] FreeBSD kernel not OK? (was: What do you currently use for your primary OS at home?)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Sat Mar 9 09:18:00 AEST 2024

On Thursday,  7 March 2024 at 19:42:59 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 07, 2024 at 08:15:43PM -0500, Jeffry R. Abramson wrote:
>> On Thu, 2024-03-07 at 13:08 +0000, Ben Kallus wrote:
>
> FreeBSD and me got reconnected when Netflix wanted to hire me a
> while back.  While the kernel may be OK (it's not, ask me how I
> know, I walked the code)

OK, I'm asking.  I've been there too, and I don't see any obvious and
serious deficiencies.

> FreeBSD is stuck in the 1980s.  Raise your hand if you have
> installed FreeBSD in the last 20 years.

/me raises.

> That "UI" for partitioning the disks, so arcane.  The whole install
> experience is _awful_.

Agreed, some of the installation tools could do with improvement.  But
how often do you install FreeBSD?  As I have already noted, I've been
using it for 25 years or so, and in the early days I held classes on
installing FreeBSD.  By about 2000 they seemed a little pointless.  In
general, once it's there, it's there.  You seem to be emphasizing the
wrong part of the system.

> SunOS was a bug fixed BSD, so I really loved BSD.  But BSD is so
> dead it is not even funny.  Linux is light years ahead.  Here is an
> example from more than 20 years ago.  I was installing RedHat Linux
> and the machine I was installing on didn't have a mouse.  The
> installer was graphical and it was just easier to tab through the
> options than go find a mouse.

Again, installation.  How about *using* the system?  And why should
you need a *mouse* to install software?

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.