[TUHS] SunOS 4 in 2024

Erik E. Fair fair-tuhs at netbsd.org
Thu Mar 14 06:23:46 AEST 2024

Henry,

I think you're going to be a whole lot happier with NetBSD or OpenBSD on 32-bit Sun SPARC hardware than trying to coax SunOS into a usable state for the modern, unfortunately rather hostile, Internet.

However, I think you're also going to want to make use of the cross-compilation tools provided, i.e., build software on [ugh] fast x86 or ARM hardware rather than wait for the old SPARCs to grind through it.

I hope you have cheap electic power service where you are - old Suns run warm and use a lot more electricity per cycle than modern processors.

The other way: emulation on modern power-efficient hardware, e.g., with qemu.

	Erik