[TUHS] SunOS 4 in 2024

Henry Bent henry.r.bent at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 09:39:33 AEST 2024

On Wed, Mar 13, 2024, 19:29 Alexis <flexibeast at gmail.com> wrote:

> Henry Bent <henry.r.bent at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Thank you, I just subscribed to sun-rescue.  I have greybeard
> > syndrome
> > about Discord - I just don't trust that it's going to be a
> > useful resource.
>
> i'm dismayed by the extent to which so many IT communities have
> moved to Discord[a] for documentation and tribal knowledge:

Perhaps I should elaborate. The communities I came of age with were Usenet
and mailing lists. While not perfect, they were the (almost) universally
recognized central repositories of group knowledge, especially if you did
not want to pay for support from a manufacturer.

Now, I find that there is a fragmentation happening. There are those of us
who still cling to mailing lists - like this one! - and those who are
willing to navigate the realms of increasingly compartmentalized other
forms of community, Discord included. The fact that there is not a
recognized central repository of unpaid support for a product, like
sun-managers, I find to be frustrating.

-Henry