[TUHS] Is OpenText Corporation the Current System V Copyright Holder?

Daniel Tameling tamelingdaniel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 06:13:01 AEST 2024

On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 02:38:03PM -0400, Stuff Received wrote:
> On 2024-03-13 23:40, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Mar 2024, Marc Rochkind wrote:
> >
> > > Don't know the answer to your question, but last I knew the
> > > trademark (not
> > > the copyright) was transferred to The Open Group. They came up with a set
> > > of rules for what UNIX is and, as I understand it, for example, Linux is
> > > not a UNIX-like system, it is a UNIX system. (The Open Group isn't
> > > interested in implementations of the UNIX standard, only the standard
> > > itself.)
> >
> > Only those distros that paid them for the right to be called such.
>
> Not quite -- they do to pass the Single Unix Spec tests.

People here might enjoy this first hand account of making MacOS fit
for the certification:

https://www.quora.com/What-goes-into-making-an-OS-to-be-Unix-compliant-certified

2 representive quotes:

"I was the tech lead at Apple for making Mac OS X pass UNIX
certification, and it was done to get Apple out of a $200M lawsuit
filed by The Open Group, for use of the UNIX™ trademark in
advertising.

The lawsuit was filed because the owner of Mac OS X Server kept
putting “UNIX” on the web site, and all other marketing collateral for
the Server product."

"If I were asked to do the same thing for Linux, it likely would take
five years, and two dozen people.

Linux is pretty balkanize, has a lot of kingdom building, and you have
to pee on everything to make it smell like Linux.

I could do the same in FreeBSD in about a year and a half, with a
dozen co-conspirators to run the changes through."

--
Kind regards,
Daniel