LaserWriter II baud rate question

Chuck Henkel henkel%nepjt at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
Thu May 18 00:34:05 AEST 1989

In article <1875 at kodak.UUCP> drl at kodak.com (Daniel R Lance) writes:

>I have had my LaserWriterIINTX running reliably on /dev/ttya of a 3/260,
>OS 4.0.1, at 38,400 baud for the last week.  It's easy to do:
>
> [...deleted...]
>
>2)  Send the following PostScript code to the printer.  (using cat or
>kermit).  This is documented in the LaserWriter IINTX manual from Apple.
>
>--cut here--
>statusdict begin 25 sccbatch exch pop
>0 eq {stop} if
>serverdict begin 0 exitserver
>statusdict begin 25 38400 64 setsccbatch
                           ^^
Be careful here. Here's another version of this same program:

	statusdict begin 25 sccbatch exch pop
	OPTIONS eq {stop} if
	serverdict begin 0 exitserver
	statusdict begin 25 BAUD OPTIONS setsccbatch

where OPTIONS and BAUD are replaced with the desired values (see manual).

Note that if the OPTIONS parameter is not different from the current value
stored in the printer, this program exits without setting the baud rate!
This bit me.

Here's the program for determining the current value of OPTIONS,
(it's straight out of the manual)

	/Helvetica findfont 14 scalefont setfont
	30 500 moveto
	statusdict begin 25 sccbatch 10 string cvs show
	pop showpage

By the way, what happens if you set the printer to 38400 baud, and then
find that your Sun can't talk to it? How do you reset the printer to the
old baud rate? Sounds like something that could catch someone. (Me, I also
have a mac hooked up to the printer through the other port, so I can
change it that way.)

Also, I didn't even try to use 38400 baud because some guy had posted
saying there was a bug in lpr that prevented its use. (Something about
using a short to store the baud rate, and 38400 won't fit in a short.) I
did get it to work at 19200 though.

| Chuck Henkel                      | Support nuclear power: Each year    |
| N.C. State University             | the combustion of fossil fuels      |
| Department of Nuclear Engineering | dumps 5 billion tons of greenhouse  |
| henkel%nepjt at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu      | gases into our atmosphere.          |