Help! Non-echo reads within SUN FORTRAN?

kjm100 at csc.anu.oz kjm100 at csc.anu.oz
Wed Aug 1 00:10:42 AEST 1990

 I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me how to read keyboard
characters --- one at a time without echoing those characters to the
terminal --- within a SUN FORTRAN program.  One would think that using the
integer function GETC would do the trick but no ...

Specific application:

I have written a CCD stellar photometry package (see Mighell 1989, Mon.
Not. R. astr. Soc. 238:807-833) which currently runs on VAX VMS systems.
Since the big VAX at Mount Stromlo will be removed in November I am
currently trying to port the package over to SUN machines.

My program reads the coordinates from a Tektronix 4010 crosshairs (GIN
mode) without echoing the cryptic Tektronix 4010 codes back to the
graphics terminal.  This is easy to do within VAX FORTRAN but is
apparently very difficult within SUN FORTRAN.

Plea for help:

Surely this problem was solved a long time ago in SUNland but the terse
SUN documentation makes a lone scientist long for the rather verbose VAX
user manuals.

Apparently it is possible to overide the standard terminal definitions of
the SUN operating system within a SUN C program but how can this be done
within SUN FORTRAN?

Kenneth John Mighell                  |
Mount Stromlo Observatory             |   INTERNET: MIGHELL at MSO.ANU.OZ.AU