VX/MVX to KO GP2/GXP/TAAC ?

Patrick J. Flynn flynn at pixel.cps.msu.edu
Thu Aug 9 01:24:23 AEST 1990

[Dontcha love that Subject: line?]

This week's Unix Today! has a blurb about two new 3D graphics accelerators
from Sun (VX and MVX), which seem positioned to replace the GP2 and TAAC-1
accelerators previously offered.

Info from the article: i860-based; VX has one 860 (40MIPS/60dpMFLOPS), MVX
has four 860s; up to 35x performance boost for SunVision apps; 32-bit
color; VX is integrated with GX 2D accelerator.  330VX listed at $56K,
470VX is $87K, 330MVX is $86K, 470MVX is $117K.

I can't help but wonder how Sun will support the GXP (GP2+CG9) and TAAC
accelerators in the future.  The GXP in particular seems like a dodo bird;
for example, there are currently no X11 ports for the CG8/CG9 that I know
of, and rumor has it that Sun won't be doing one (can someone prove me
wrong?)

TTFN - Pat