Fortran shared libraries bug?

Brian Glendenning bglenden at mandrill.cv.nrao.edu
Mon Aug 13 11:33:23 AEST 1990

We have a large package of programs that we have recently converted to use
shared libraries. The programs are mostly coded in Fortran with some
low-level C routines.

Recently after some innoccuous changes, we noticed that on Sun 3s under
SunOS 4.0.3 the programs start crashing with a segmentation violation. A
dbx traceback showed the program doing what it should do, and then at a
subroutine call it veers off into etext.

Linking the program with the static version of the libraries makes the
problem go away, so we presume that it's a bug with the shared library
support.  Has anyone seen this before? Is there a workaround besides
linking statically? Is it fixed in 4.1?

       Brian Glendenning - National Radio Astronomy Observatory
bglenden at nrao.edu          bglenden at nrao.bitnet          (804) 296-0286