Verification of backups.

dennett at kodak.com dennett at kodak.com
Tue Aug 14 21:50:20 AEST 1990

I have some people around here that were brought up in the VAX world.  In
that dimension you can run a verify pass on a backup tape you just made to
ensure that the backup tape is good.  These people (including a
supervisor) are insisting that I make sure our Sun backups are verified.
I tell them that other than looking to see if /etc/dump complains about
anything, there is really no way I can verify a dump tape.  However, they
keep bringing up the subject.  Just so I can hopefully put this issue to
rest, is that true?  Is there anything else I can do verify that a backup
tape is good?  About the only other thing I could think of is to run an
interactive restore and read the table of contents, but I believe that
does not read the entire tape.  It only reads the table of contents from
the tape.

Thanks for any help.

Charlie Dennett          | Internet: dennett at Kodak.COM
Mail Stop 01816          | Phone: (716) 588-6078
Eastman Kodak Company    | -- This space under construction --
Rochester, NY 14650-1816 | -- Be prepared to stop --