Available CD-ROMS for Suns...

bernard at prlb.philips.be bernard at prlb.philips.be
Thu Aug 16 22:40:21 AEST 1990

Some time ago, i've posted an article asking for a catalog of available
Cd-ROMS for Sun workstations. Well, a lot of e-mails from people who would
like that i send them interesting informations i would receive...  but,
until now, only one answer about some real cd-rom disks (see below) apart
from the Sun disks with SunOS and Catalyst.

So, if we want to use on Suns all the ISO9660 and High-Sierra cd-roms
written for PC (e.g.  Oxford dictionary, Robert dictionary for French
speacking people,...)  before publishers/editors make Sun/Unix versions or
their executable, an intermediate solution could be based on one of the PC
emulator (soft or hard) for Sparc, with a sun Cd-rom.

But, there is a technical problem : is a Sun Cd-rom connected as a Unix
device to my Sun, can be seen from the PC emulator running in my sun
window as a standard PC cd-rom device (i.e. a scsi device) ? Does that
scheme can be extended through a network of suns: a Cd-Rom connected to
some sun on the network seen as a standard PC cd-rom by the PC-emulator
running on a another sun ?

(note that before posting this news, i phoned to Sun belgium - BIM -
which, of course, never thought about that and could not give any
answer...)

If that can be done (i.e. Unix scsi device seen as Pc scsi device by the
PC emulator), then we could have one or more cd-roms connected to some
suns, mounted on other networked sun's on which PC-emulator would, in
separate window, run the pc executable which provides the interface to
access the information on the cd disks.

Yves Bernard
Philips Research Lab, Belgium

"GNU 2: The Disc" with X11R4, and FULL TEXT INDEXING

This disc offers the COMPLETE CORE AND CONTRIBUTED SOURCES for X11R4, the
newest release of the X Window System.  Comprising over 150MB of material,
this resource provides window managers, toolkits, clients, games, fonts
and demos.  Among the highlights are:

Window
Managers	Toolkits	Clients  	Games   	Demos
--------	--------	---------	--------	--------
olwm		XView   	xterm    	xlife   	xeyes
twm		Andrew  	xperfmon 	mazewar 	psycho
gwm		InterViews	xcalendar	reversi 	xmj
uwm		Xt      	xcalc    	xtrek   	puzzle

PLUS MANY MORE!

Also included is the complete collection (over 90MB) of GNU Project
software development tools distributed by the Free Software Foundation
including new versions of these popular tools:

gcc  1.37.1		g++  1.37.1		libg++ 1.37.0
emacs  18.55		gdb  3.5		gas  1.35

PLUS, many other new or updated releases:

ae  2.3			flex  2.1		nethack  2.3
bash  1.05		gawk  2.11		Nichl 2.204a
binutils		gdbm  0.9		perl  3.0
bison  1.06		ghostscript  1.3	rcs  4.0
compress  4.0		gnuchess  1.53		scheme  6.1.2
cperf  2.0		gnugo  1.1		t  3.0
cvs  1.0		gnuplot  1.10a		tar  1.08
diff  1.14		grep  1.5		texi2roff  2.0
f2c  3.2.90		indent  1.1
fileutils  1.0		make  3.58

All of the GNU and X11R4 files have been FULL-TEXT INDEXED allowing
convenient multi-word boolean searches.  Better than variable
cross-references or grep.  A easy-to-use SunView retrieval engine is
provided.  (An XView version is nearing completion and a Motif version is
in development.)

	GNU 2 : the Disc is available at the special price of $300
			(list price, $500)

For more information contact:
Young Minds, Incorporated
308 W. State St., Suite 2B