SunOS 4.1 multi-user dump causes crashes (RESOLV

Steve Rumsby steve at maths.warwick.ac.uk
Mon Aug 13 20:48:02 AEST 1990

> Apparently in SunOS 4.1, if you have an fstab entry for the default swap
> partition, then when you go multi-user and run swapon(8) the default swap
> gets added again.  This eventually leads to the kernel crashing when dump
> runs and causes the system to swap.  This is an unconfirmed theory (we are
> still waiting for our sources), but removing the fstab entry stopped the
> system from crashing.

No, I don't believe this! There are lots of machines around here running
with the default swap partitions mentioned in /etc/fstab. This has never
caused a problem. Surely this is standard practice? I've always done it
this way. Yes, the machines are running 4.1, and yes, I do dumps while
running multi-user. If Sun had broken this (and I guess I wouldn't be
*completely* surprised) there would have been many more people suffering
because of it.

It is kind of curious that removing the fstab line stopped the crashing
though...

UUCP:	 ...!ukc!warwick!steve		Internet: steve at maths.warwick.ac.uk
JANET:	 steve at uk.ac.warwick.maths	PHONE:	 +44 203 524657