Problems with 'top' on a Sun3x

Andy Sherman andys at ulysses.att.com
Mon Aug 13 09:28:36 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug2.002508.16683 at rice.edu> jms at tardis.tymnet.com (Joe Smith) writes:
>I picked up the latest sources to the 'top' program from Rice the other
>day, and it worked fine on a 3/50 and a 3/60, but not on a 3/480.  After
>recompiling on the 3/480, it did the opposite.  'top' was showing the top
>10 users of the CPU, but not the command they were running.
>
>Conclusion: With 4.0.3, you could get away with a single executable binary
>for both Sun-3 and Sun-3x systems, but that no longer works with 4.1 of
>SunOS.  Due to kvm differences, single binary for 'top' will not run on
>both a Sun-3 and a Sun-3x machine.

This started in 4.0.3, not 4.1.  You can hack top to do all of its kernel
accesses using the kvm_ routines and then link with -lkvm.  If you use the
shared library, one executable will work for both architectures, since
libkvm.so will be picked up from the correct /usr/kvm partition at run
time.

Andy Sherman/AT&T Bell Laboratories/Murray Hill, NJ
AUDIBLE:  (201) 582-5928
READABLE: andys at ulysses.att.com  or att!ulysses!andys
What? Me speak for AT&T?  You must be joking!