Maxtor XL200S

Christopher Penrose penrose at gymer.css.gov
Wed Aug 8 06:21:42 AEST 1990

Someone asked for Maxtor LXT200S information.  I know your situation.  Of
the five we ordered, only four managed to arrive with cables.  I managed
to pry jumper and format information from [& a taco].  Here is a write up
that I made for my boss.  Just for the record, I have installed only one
of these drives so far (on a 4/65) and just last night it forgot how to
read its label.  Just before we attempted to reformat the drive, the label
became readable again.  Strange tempermental magic.  Except for this dive,
our Ada folks have been quite happy with it.

Christopher Penrose
penrose at essosun.css.gov

Here is a scoop.  The physical installation procedures for the Maxtor
drives are adequately described within the enclosed (inside the
box--hopefully) documentation.  [& a taco] did forget some other important
details--but, they remembered the drive!  No! that foil shrouded hunk is
not a loaf of black bread.

The drives have five jumpers.  Find them!  With the SCSI connectors of the
drive oriented upward, the jumpers should be near the top.  If you don't
find these five jumpers here, you probably aren't holding a Maxtor LXT200S
in your palm.  You might be holding a bag of snail death instead.  Ignore
the top two jumpers, they are to remain unchanged.  The bottom three
jumpers allow you to specify the SCSI id number for the drive.  Starting
from the bottom jumper the three jumpers correspond to a 3-bit number
which specifies the actual SCSI id.  Without jumpers, the address is sd0,
with only the bottom jumper complete we have sd1.  Please extend this
logic.

Formatting!  Your Sparcstation does not know what a Maxtor LXT200S is.
You need to teach 'format' how to recognize these orphans.  Pull up
'format' from a trusty shell on your Sparcstation and select the SCSI
device that corresponds with the SCSI id that you chose.  Format will
whine about the disk (being quite the xenophobe) being unrecognized.
Extract/create a defect list and then format the drive.  The formatting
will not begin immediately:  first you will be asked for some arcane
knowledge.

cylinders:      1312
heads:          7
extra cylns:	2
sectors
per track:      41
rpm:            3600
bpt:            23520

'format' should be happy after it gets this information.  The installation
may even finish quickly.