Sun 4C configurations

richard at unipalm.co.uk richard at unipalm.co.uk
Wed Aug 15 03:21:19 AEST 1990

I have just been compiling a list of hostid identifiers, and came
across a long list of sun4c architectures.

Several questions :

1) What is the difference between sun4 and sun4c ? Does the "c" mean
   desktop boxes compared to deskside boxes ?

2) What are the following architectures ? (Ones I know I have added)
   I can only conclude that all these machine architectures have been
   decided upon, and can thus apply a formula (larger numbers =>
   larger machines) that suggests that there will be a wide range of
   machines including several below the SLC and several above the
   Sparcstation 1+.

/* from /usr/include/machine/cpu.h on a Sparcstation 1+ SunOS 4.1 */
/* Hex codes are first 2 characters of 'hostid' */

#define CPU_SUN4C_05     0x5c
#define CPU_SUN4C_10     0x5a
#define CPU_SUN4C_20     0x54 SLC
#define CPU_SUN4C_30     0x56
#define CPU_SUN4C_32     0x5e
#define CPU_SUN4C_40     0x52 IPC
#define CPU_SUN4C_45     0x5b
#define CPU_SUN4C_50     0x57
#define CPU_SUN4C_60     0x51 Sparcstation 1
#define CPU_SUN4C_65     0x53 Sparcstation 1+
#define CPU_SUN4C_70     0x55
#define CPU_SUN4C_75     0x58
#define CPU_SUN4C_80     0x59
#define CPU_SUN4C_85     0x5d
#define CPU_SUN4C_HIKE   0x5f
#define CPU_SUN4_260     0x21 Old 4/260 deskside box
#define CPU_SUN4_110     0x22 Old 4/110 desktop box
#define CPU_SUN4_330     0x23 Big deskside box (includes 370, 390 ?)
#define CPU_SUN4_460     0x24 Even bigger deskside box (includes 490 ?)

Richard Nuttall                                richard at xtech.uucp
XTech, Cambridge, England                      ukc!acorn!unipalm!xtech!richard
Tel: +44 954 211862                            richard at unipalm.uucp