Serial port speed

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Fri Aug 10 06:55:59 AEST 1990

>When I asked Guy Harris about this in '88, he couldn't think of any reason
>that you might want to set a 'nonstandard' serial port speed, and didn't
>want to change it.

Err, no, he didn't say he couldn't think of a reason why you wouldn't want
to set a 'nonstandard' serial port speed, he said that the example you
gave of a reason why you might want to do so - a MIDI port - might also
want a different line discipline and perhaps even changes in the low-level
serial port driver (does MIDI use the same character framing as an
asynchronous serial line?).

Part of the concern was with getting AT&T to buy into the interface; if
the price of getting S5R4 to have a reasonably pleasant tty driver was to
keep the way speeds were stored similar to the way S5 did them, it's a
price I have no problem paying....  I don't know that AT&T wouldn't have
bought into an interface like that, but frankly I was too fatigued to even
contemplate trying to hard to get them to do so.