wrong account recognition in SunOS 4.1

David J. Camp david at wubios.wustl.edu
Wed Aug 1 21:50:04 AEST 1990

Using SunOS 4.1 on a Sun 3/260 we sometimes have our userid changed to
some other account inapproriately.  I cannot describe the exact
circumstances under which this occurs, because they are various.  For
instance we have a root-owned daemon that sends mail to users.  Sometimes
that mail seems to come from a different user instead of root, and not
necessarily a wheel user.  Once a user su'ed to a different account, and
after exit'ing he read mail.  The mailer tried to read the mail of the
su'ed account instead of his original account.  When we submit print jobs
from a su'ed account, sometimes they have the su'ed account on the banner,
and sometimes they have the login account.  I think there was another
circumstance under which this has occurred.  I am mainly interested in
having it fixed, rather than generate discussion.  You can write me about
it if you wish, but I do not read sun-spots.  I would call Sun, but I am
no longer responsible for system administration.  -David-

Internet: david%wubios at wugate.wustl.edu     ^      David J. Camp
uucp: ...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david       < * >
"Depend on God, who has dominion."          v      314-382-0584