stack tracebacks

Fred G. Thurber cadreri!fgt at sun.com
Thu Aug 2 01:06:15 AEST 1990

Does anyone know how to get a stack traceback in a running program for Sun
3s and SPARC machines.  On the Sun 386i I was able to read the stack frame
registers from C by examining the jmp_buf set in setjmp().  From there I
was able to trace backwards along the stack frames to the mainline.
However I was never able to translate these register values into the ascii
names of the functions (short of using /bin/nm).  Is it possible to get a
traceback for Sun 3s and SPARCs?  dbx doesn't have any (well,... not many)
problems doing it.

Fred Thurber      cadreri!fgt at sun.com
c/o Cadre Technologies
222 Richmond St