How to disable TCP/IP on the Sun?

RAMESH VISWANATHAN ramesh at nevada.edu
Thu Aug 16 02:11:24 AEST 1990

Here is the scenario:

The U.S. EPA has a policy against running Sun computers on their DECnet
network due to security reasons.  I guess this has something to do with
the susceptibility of TCP/IP to break-ins.

I came across a package call TSSnet for the Sun.  This software creates
DECnet packets of the Sun, independent of TCP/IP.  TSSnet will allow
DECnet and TCP/IP to coexist.  But, I would like to stop the Sun from
either generating, or sending TCP/IP packets.  The VP of Engineering at
TSS (Thursby Software Systems, Inc.) mentioned that this could be done by
using the "ifconfig" command.

According to the SunOS Reference Manual the command "ifconfig le0 down"
will cause the system to stop attempts to transmit messages through that
interface.  This action will, however, not disable routes using the
interface.  Which according to the TSS VP will allow TSSnet to transmit
DECnet packets through this interface, although it is "dead" as far as
transmitting IP packets is concerned.  Technically, in this case, EPA
policy might allow the Sun to be on DECnet.

Here is what I need:

o Has anyone come across TSSnet?
o Are there any other ways to stop the Sun from sending IP packets?
o Could someone clarify the use of the "ifconfig" command?

Any other suggestions?

Ramesh Viswanathan.