visuals in X Windows

lottey lottey at theory.tn.cornell.edu
Fri Aug 10 03:54:18 AEST 1990

I am working with X Windows (OpenWindows 1.0) on a SUN 3/60.  In searching
for methods to achieve Pseudocolor, I tried the direct approach: creating
a window using a visual of class pseudocolor.  I inevitably get an Xerror
specifying "BadMatch, invalid parameter attribute" for the opcode
XCreateWindow.  This can be directly traced to the use of a visual other
than the default, as an argument to XCreateWindow.  (I believe I follow
the rules for securing visuals to the letter!)

Has anyone managed to achieve pseduocolor using a visual different from
the default?  Is there a trick or incantation to be used?  A code fragment
or word of advice would be most welcome - - mail to
lottey at theory.tn.cornell.edu

Side note: I have since found the environment variable USE_MIT_VISUALS
which makes the defualt visual one of class pseudocolor. However I'm still
quite interested in the question at hand.

Michael Manyin