NEWer tool for reading VMS backup tapes on Unix

Rafael Furst rafe at neon.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 15 09:12:52 AEST 1990

We have a need for reading VMS backup tapes onto a Unix system.  I already
have a copy of version 3.0 (of December 1986) of "vmsbackup" which circulated
around the net a couple of years ago.  However, we now need some additional
capabilities, such as the ability to read savesets spanning multiple reels.
Before we reinvent the wheel by adding functionality to "vmsbackup", has
anyone out there in netland already done so?  If so, I would greatly
appreciate someone making available a newer tool for reading backup tapes.  (I
have already checked the "comp.sources.unix" archive, but it contains the same
version of "vmsbackup" I already have.)

                                       Thanks,

                                       Greg Jumper
                                       TRW

                            Internet:  jumper at spf.trw.com
                                UUCP:  ...wiley!trwspf!jumper

P.S.  Our mail feed is flaky, so I'm posting this article via another
account; please respond to the internet address immediately above.  I don't
think this message previously reached USENET; I apologize if it did...