can not boot 4.3bsd-tahoe from disk

Marc Lesure system at asuvax.asu.edu
Sat Dec 31 17:14:58 AEST 1988

I've just finished installing 4.3bsd-tahoe on our Harris HCX-7 and have
run into the following problem.  When I try to boot the system from the
smd disk, I get a "VDC geoblk error bad id" message from the CP when I do
a "fd dsk(0,0)" or a "fr dsk(0,0)boot".  I can boot from the distribution
tape and after cyp(0,0)boot executes, it reads vmunix from disk.  I've tried
reformatting the disk using the 4.3 format utility and the Harris format
utility and still get the error.  If I use the Harris format, the CP
does not complain about the geoblock until after I dump the root partition
on the disk, 4.3 seems to rewrite that block.  My question is how can I get my
CP to understand the format of the 4.3 geometric block?

Marc Lesure / Arizona State University / Tempe, AZ
"Between the world of men and make-believe, I can be found..."
"False faces and meaningless chases, I travel alone..."
"And where do you go when you come to the end of your dream?"

UUCP:                ...!ncar!noao!asuvax!lesure
Internet/CSNET/ARPA: lesure at asuvax.asu.edu