floating point woes

P. Graham pjg at solstice.unr.EDU
Mon May 16 06:45:44 AEST 1988

configuration: cci 6/32 (from sperry)

prefatory query.  is there anyone else out there who doesn't have floating
point?

we don't have floating point and we're thinking about getting it.  two
reasons come into play 1) the floating emulation (we're running 4.3beta
circa aug. 87) fails under some circumstances. 2) when it doesn't it's
slower than everything else on campus.

my questions:
 Has anyone else seen this problem or does anyone know if the stuff in
sys/tahoemath has been fixed by cci and kept secret?
 My sperry configuration guide says i have to get the third cabinet and
move all my peripheral boards to it if i want to use those three slots set
aside for the floating point.  Is this really necessary?  If so why?
 Anybody have a floating point set for less than $12k?  (naturally this
last question should certainly be answered via private mail)

A little nugget of info: early this year my ce's came by and changed my cp
roms. suddenly i could boot 4.3beta according to the instructions.  if you
are still running the old roms i'd rush right out and get the new ones.

--
Paul Graham -- University of Nevada-Reno
uucp - uunet!tahoe.unr.edu!pjg