want job control with CCI SYSVR2

Jay Hiser jay at hqda-ai.ARPA
Fri Sep 9 03:50:56 AEST 1988

I grew up on BSD 4.2.  Now I'm the administrator for 1/2 dozen CCI
6/32s that are using SYSVR2.  I really miss having the job control
available under BSD and I'd like to get whatever I can on my present
system.  My system does have shl, but no one has ever used it and I
doubt if it is properly set up.

Typing shl results in: "no control channels available (errno 2)"

My documentation consists of the man pages for shl and sxt -- that's
it.  In addition, I'm not authorized to call CCI's software helpline
anymore because I haven't had their sys admin class (neither my
employer nor our client is thrilled about spending $750 so I can spend
a week reviewing ls and cat).  CCI didn't offer any more support for
uucp or the Berkely net extensions either, but I figured them out with
the help of good books & good advice.  All I need are a couple of
clues (its got to do with /dev/stx, right?) and I think I can get this
to work.

If you are using the shell layer manager on your SysV Tahoe, please
let me know what the trick is.  Thank you,

Jay Heiser
The Phantom System Administrator