undumping a core image

wills ms 01309 mwills at x102a.harris-atd.com
Thu Aug 17 02:01:59 AEST 1989

I need the ability to snapshot a running process to disk in such a way
that I can resume it again later.  This resumption may take place days
later, even after a reboot.  I understand that something called
"undump" exists which will do such a thing from a core file.  My
questions are these:

Is there an FTP site where I can find such an animal?

Can it reliably resume a process from any core file?

How dependent is it on platform type?  I'm using a tahoe running
HCX/UX (SYS V w/ Berkeley extensions) and have had "fair" luck porting
both SYS V & BSD applications here.

Does anyone have any better ideas for doing this?

I know that some debuggers do this type of thing, but most of the code
is in Ada, so the popular symbolic debuggers won't work.  I can
interface to C code, so conventional C-language solutions are
welcomed.

M. Scott Wills                        arpa: mwills at x102a.harris-atd.com
Mail Stop 102-4858                  usenet: uunet!x102a!mwills
Harris Corporation                   phone: 407-729-3283
Government Aerospace Systems Div.     Bldg: 102 Room: 3426
P.O. Box 94000
Melbourne, FL 32901